Wednesday, July 20, 2011

SEEDS ~ FIVE

"Sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it."Genesis 4:7

Leashes Break and Dogs Bite

The morning was crisp and cool - perfect for a bike ride. I jumped out of bed around 7am, dressed in an oversized sweatshirt and jogging pants, and bolted out the back door. I had 30 minutes to be alone and ease into the day before my house became alive with the chatter of little ones. Anxious to get some exercise and spend a few valued moments talking with the Lord, I headed down the normal route through my old neighborhood, a collage of brick homes, sidewalks, and mature trees.

Nothing new about the path that day. I passed the same houses and the same driverless cars warming up for their owners on the tree-lined streets. When I rounded the final corner to head down the last stretch of road, I fully expected to see the man who had become a familiar fixture during my bike rides. Same time and same place, I’d pass this gentleman walking his two beautiful dogs; one black and one brown.

We’d grown used to our interchange, and each of us always did what was necessary. When I saw them, I’d immediately cross the street, and he’d stop to wait for me to pass. They owner would wind the leash tightly around his hand and pull back to restrain the black dog. For some reason, that one didn’t like me—or anyone else for that matter. Any person or object, living or inanimate, was subject to his cruel tantrums. While the gentle brown one didn’t seem to notice me or care, the black one became vicious at the sight of me. He’d lunge in my direction and snarl with an open mouth full of sharp teeth.

I wasn’t afraid. I’d grown used to this and appreciated my neighbor for being so trustworthy and polite in restraining that wild beast. Every day the same drill: I passed by while the dog barked in hopes of making an attack. I was sure this morning would be no different.

On this day the pleasantries between my neighbor and me were the same: the smile, the wave, the “good morning.” I began to cross the street to take my usual place on the other side while he pulled back on his livid dog. I didn’t glance back at them until I was on the opposite sidewalk, and when I did, I saw a sight I wasn’t prepared for. The crazed animal had lunged at me with so much force that his leash snapped, breaking the base. The dog was loose and racing feverishly across the street in my direction.

I began screaming at the top of my lungs as terror gripped my heart. I tried to speed up, but he was almost on my side of the road before I’d even realized he was coming. My feet kept pumping the pedals, but for some reason, I became strangely paralyzed. My right foot slipped off the worn rubber pad, and the bike tilted as I tried to hold steady. I swerved violently and came crashing down on the sidewalk just in time to come face to face with the dog that had rushed at me despite his owner’s frantic calls.

In an instant he lunged into my thigh, tearing through my jogging pants and taking out a small piece of flesh. He continued barking and terrorizing me for only a few more seconds before my neighbor finally made it across the road, tackling his dog to the ground. It seemed like an eternity had passed. Bike in hand, I limped the rest of the way home.

Shouldn’t I have known that at some point something like this was bound to happen? Leashes break, and dogs like this one eventually bite. How long could I pass by this animal and not expect to get into some trouble? Why did it take a frightening exchange and a hurtful bite to get me to realize that being this close to danger isn’t worth it? I should have chosen a new path long before this day ever arrived.

Why do I . . . why do we play with fire?

Do we really think the flimsy restraints and leashes we’ve put in place will keep holding up?

Nothing is new under the sun because Joseph learned this lesson long ago. He had a normal routine just like me. “Day after day” (Gen. 39:10) he found himself in the same place at the same time participating in the same activity - overseeing his employer’s personal wealth and fortune. From the early morning hours until the ones late in the day, his charge was to manage everything Potiphar owned. Joseph was trusted and had access to everything that Potiphar held dear.

Yet soon a dog starting barking, and it couldn't be ignored. Potiphar’s wife lusted for Joseph and began to request that he look after more than just her husband’s wealth. He saw the danger but did not act appropriately until it was too late. With the barking dog still in sight on the next sidewalk - yet with good and honest intentions each day - he played with fire. Day after day he refused to compromise while hoping the leash would hold fast. Yet the dog barked, showing its sharp teeth more and more. (See Gen. 39:7-8) Then one morning the leash broke.

“Now it happened one day that he went into the house to do his work, and none of the men of the household was there inside. She caught him by his garment, saying, “Lie with me!” And he left his garment in her hand and fled, and went outside. When she saw that he had left his garment in her hand and had fled outside...Then she spoke to him with these words, “The Hebrew slave, whom you brought to us, came in to me to make sport of me; and as I raised my voice and screamed, he left his garment beside me and fled outside.” (Gen. 39:11-13,17-18)

With one swift lie, Potiphar’s wife took a huge bite out of Joseph’s reputation and his future. He was fired from his job and sentenced to a stint behind bars.

If only he’d run sooner. How his life would have been different had he chosen to walk down a different path!

Leashes break, and dogs bite. You can only walk down a road so close to that ferocious beast for so long before you are shocked by the position you find yourself in. Don’t play with fire whatever you fire may be - the flirtatious glances, the Internet site, the seductive temptation. It will not be too long before you wish you’d changed the path you traveled down. Your distance from danger may seem appropriate now, but if you can still see the dog and hear the intimidating growl, you are too close for comfort. Sin is crouching at the door, eager to engage you. So, turn away and go down a different road.

Make no mistake about it. Leashes will break, and the dogs like this one will bite.

Discussion Questions:
Background Scripture: Romans 7:13 - 8:13

1. What is your normal way of responding when you "fall in a hole"?
2. Why do you think we sometimes stay in the hole longer than necessary? What makes getting out of the hole so difficult?
3. If you can share, what pitfalls or holes do you find yourself falling into repeatedly?
4. How do you relate to Paul's statements in Romans 7:15-17,25; 8:11?
5. What part does the Lord play in getting you out of your hole? What part do you play?

Answer a few of the questions by posting a comment

No comments: